Clothes I Wear In The Winter
English Language Arts (NYS P-12 Common Core)
Elementary, Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten
- The students will be able to dress their paper fiqure in the correct order.
- The students will be able to dress themselves in the correct order.
Buffalo Public Schools Prekindergarten Curriculum Committee
20 minutes or
can be done in two separate lessons.
Can I follow oral directions?
Froggy Gets Dressed by Jonathan London is another book which lends itself well as an introduction or follow-up to the lesson.
- This fun activity wil assist your children when they dress themselves to go outdoors as they learn to follow oral directions.
- To provide backround knowledge for this activity bring in your own articles of winter clothing. Show the articles of clothing to the children and have them direct you as you dress yourself for the outdoors. Problem solve as you go along. For example: boots must be put on after snow pants. Discuss with the children the order for putting on the items.
- Provide each child with an outline of a person and clothing pieces made of construction paper - pants, jacket, boots, hat, mittens, scarf, etc. Again, discuss which items should be put on first, second, third, etc.
- The children will then dress their figure in the correct order using glue to afix the clothing pieces to the paper person.
- Read the book - The Jacket I Wear In The Snow by Shirley Neitzel to reinforce the concepts taught.