Common Procedure Costs by Consumer Jungle
Commencement, 9th Grade, 10th Grade, 11th Grade, 12th Grade
Students will understand the price associated with common medical procedures and how quickly expenses add up for patients.
30 minutes: Entire activity
Working individually, students will answer questions regarding the most common diagnoses and procedures in hospitals.
This lesson is one part of a larger unit, Health. While completing this unit students will learn about the importance of health insurance and how to select their best option amongst a plethora of providers.
Consumer Jungle units are designed to be flexible, and can be used as one integrated unit or individual segments. If you are planning to use the unit in its entirety, please see the Related Content field for the additional lessons. The End of Unit Assessment field contains links to the concept quizzes for the unit.
- Pass out the 20 Most Common Diagnostic Related Group Costs and Procedure Costs student worksheets.
- Give students access to a computer connected to the Internet. The information on the 20 Most Common Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) is taken from this website: http://www.ahd.com/sample_inpatient.html.
- Instruct students to complete the worksheet according to the worksheet instructions.
- Ask students to turn in the worksheet and grade it.
- Return the worksheets to the students.
- Debrief as a class by summarizing common findings when comparing health insurance plans.
- Are these medical terms ones you hear on TV sitcoms or dramas based in hospitals or about doctors?
- How does knowing what a procedure costs affect your perception of why health insurance is important?
- Is it easy to see how quickly the bill adds up and how it can represent a significant percentage of income?
- What words of wisdom can you offer to the people you know about the importance of health insurance on their financial future?
Consumer Jungle is dedicated to providing young adults with the life skills they need to become responsible, informed consumers. Consumer Jungle provides engaging and relevant consumer education curricula covering a variety of topics such as credit cards, transportation, living on your own, personal finances, telecommunications, health, and e-commerce fraud. Developed with input from teachers, students, and parents, Consumer Jungle delivers interactive games, activities, and relevant information directly to the home or classroom.
End of Unit Assessment
Students can take the concept quizzes via pen and paper.