What is Health? by ECSDM
Physical Education, Health, Physical Education, and Family and Consumer Sciences
Intermediate, 8th Grade
- Have index cards placed on a table in the front of the classroom. You should also have a copy of the worksheet shown on slides #7 and #8.
- Have slide #4 showing as students enter the room and instruct them to read the directions on the board and follow them.
- After students place completed cards in class folder, go through and begin reading their definitions to them aloud without stating the author's name. (I have found that most students will write the definition including only the physical aspect of health. Most do not include any mental or social aspects in their definitions.)
- Next, pass a worksheet out to each student. Then go to slide #6 and have them copy the extra notes onto their worksheet, (slide #7), as you describe the wellness definition of health. Ask them the things in their world that effect their health and then encourage them to see the connection of how that one event affects all three aspects of their health.
- Finally, have them create their own examples of life events and the effects these events have on the three aspects of health. Use the worksheet to assist them on slide #8.
Students will define health/wellness and they will list various events that affects all three aspects of their health. Students will also analyze how each aspect of health affects the other.
Students will define health/wellness and they will list various events that affects all three aspects of their health.
Students will also analyze how each aspect of health affects the other.
One 45-minute class period
Index cards for each student. Students love the colorful ones that they can choose from.
Copies of slide # 7 and #8 on worksheets for each student
SMART Board and accessories (i.e. speakers)
What is Health.pdfWhat is Health.notebook
The students will complete a written assignment slide #8 showing their level of understanding.