eHealth Insurance by Consumer Jungle
Grade 12: Economics, the Enterprise System, and Finance, Grade 12: Participation in Government, Health, Physical Education, and Family and Consumer Sciences, Social Studies (NYS K-12 Framework Common Core)
Commencement, 9th Grade, 10th Grade, 11th Grade, 12th Grade
Students comparison shop health insurance for themselves to understand how much the monthly premiums, deductibles, and co-insurance amounts vary from plan to plan.
50 minutes: Entire activity
Working individually or in teams, students research, contrast and compare a variety of health insurance plans.
This lesson is one part of a larger unit, Health. While completing this unit students will learn about the importance of health insurance and how to select their best option amongst a plethora of providers.
Consumer Jungle units are designed to be flexible, and can be used as one integrated unit or individual segments. If you are planning to use the unit in its entirety, please see the Related Content field for the additional lessons. The End of Unit Assessment field contains links to the concept quizzes for the unit.
- Pass out the eHealthInsurance student worksheet.
- Give students access to a computer connected to the Internet.
- Direct students to complete the worksheet according to the worksheet instructions.
- Ask students to turn in the worksheet. The Answer Key shows an example, but because students are shopping for individual plans, there cannot be one correct answer. You may wish to modify the lesson plan by creating 5-6 profile sketches and getting the quotes in advanced for your state.
- Return the worksheets to the students so that they can use it as a reference in future lessons.
- Debrief as a class by summarizing common findings when comparing health insurance plan.
- Is it better to pay a higher monthly premium or a lower monthly premium?
- How much health insurance can you afford to pay for each month?
End of Unit Assessment
Students can take the concept quizzes via pen and paper.
Consumer Jungle is dedicated to providing young adults with the life skills they need to become responsible, informed consumers. Consumer Jungle provides engaging and relevant consumer education curricula covering a variety of topics such as credit cards, transportation, living on your own, personal finances, telecommunications, health, and e-commerce fraud. Developed with input from teachers, students, and parents, Consumer Jungle delivers interactive games, activities, and relevant information directly to the home or classroom.