The Original 13 Colonies and 3 Regions by ECSDM
Social Studies (NYS K-12 Framework Common Core)
Intermediate, 7th Grade
This lesson has been created for the purpose of reviewing content regarding The Original Thirteen Colonies and the three colonial regions of America with 7th grade students who are studying American History. Therefore, prior lessons pertaining to this topic will be required for students to be successful.
- Student will be able to identify The Thirteen colonies.
- Student will be able to classify each colony within one of the three colonial regions.
- Student will be able to identify the characteristics of each colonial region.
The duration of this lesson is 45 minutes.
13 Colony Review WorksheetBeat the Clock Colony Review Directions13 Colony Quiz13 Colonies 13 Regions.notebook
- 13 Colony SMART Notebook file
- 13 Colony Review Worksheet
- Beat the Clock Colony Review Directions
- 13 Colony Quiz
SMART Notebook 13 Colony Review:
After the SMART Notebook 13 Colony Review:
- Teacher will show slide #1 on SMART Notebook for The 13 Original Colonies. Teacher will discuss the different colors on the blank map for each region and ask students how many regions there are for The Original 13 Colonies.
- Teacher will ask students to identify each of the 13 Colonies according to region by clicking on the blank map from slide #1 on SMART Notebook.
- Once the student provides the information about the prospective colony and region that it belongs to, then the teacher will click on the blank colony, which will link to the correct colony and region name.
- Teacher will then ask students the characteristics of that particular colony region. Once the students provide the characteristics of that particular colony region, then the teacher will click on the colony region, which will link to the slide with the correct characteristics of each colonial region.
After The Beat the Clock Group Review:
- Teacher will show and discuss the directions for Beat The Clock Colony review on The SMART Board.
- Teacher will tell the students that they will collectively earn 10 points on the quiz if they are the first ones done with the most correct, including correct spelling and capitalization.
- Teacher will give students in groups of three one Colony Review worksheet. Students will collectively identify The 13 Colonies and three colonial regions. These will be collected in the order of which group is done first.
- Teacher will show slide #1 on SMART Notebook which depicts The Original 13 Colonies.
- Teacher will call on students to write The Original 13 Colonies on SMART Notebook slide #1 asking them to spell and capitalize the colonies correctly.
Students will take The 13 Colony Quiz.
Grading will be the number correct out of 100.