Native Language Arts Seasonal Poem
Elementary, 3rd Grade, 4th Grade
- Using the SMART Board Notebook, students and teacher will create a semantic web of the four seasons.
- Students will identify the four seasons, and add associative words to the map by contributing words associated with each season. Individual children will take turns writing on the SMART Board. The rest will copy the words on their individual sheets.
- After the four seasons have been completed, words will be revisited and see if synonyms can be added that add a greater effect to the word. (Ex. "caliente" can become "sofocante.")
- Teacher will model how to choose one of the four seasons and create a sample poem. Students cannot copy the sample. They are then encouraged to choose one of their own and use as many of the new words to enhance their poem.
- As students write, small groups will be called to SMART Board to use the notebook program entitled, "Las Estaciones del Tiempo."
In this lesson, students will create poems using descriptive wordplay and rich vocabulary in Spanish language arts. Students must have prior knowledge of the four seasons and characteristics of each one.
Materials and Resources
Duration of Lesson
- Using descriptive nouns and adjectives, students will create a poem based on one of the four seasons.
- Students will increase independence and collaboration skills.
- Students will use SMART Board in small groups to further understand the four seasons.
- Students will develop appreciation for culture and history by listening to Vivaldi's "Four Seasons."
- word list
- SMART Board
Writing of the poem and shared product. Teacher will copy the poem into the computer and create a file for all of the poems.