Right Triangle Trigonometry
This is an introductory lesson to Right Triangle Trigonometry. Students will be presented to the three trigonometry ratios: Sine, Cosine & Tangent, and will be able to set up the ratios through interactive practice pages. The students will be able to find the length of a missing side given an angle and one other side.
Regents Prep Oswego
Practice with Right Triangles
Through the interactive SMART Notebook lesson, the students will:
- Label the sides of a right triangle based on a given angle
- Learn how to set up the three trigonometry ratios: sine, cosine & tangent
- Find the missing length of right triangle given an angle and one other side
Two to Three 45-minute periods
- SMART Board
- LCD Projector
- Right Triangle Trigonometry Notebook Lesson
- Trig Twister Worksheet - in attached Notebook Lesson & below
- "Right Triangle Ditto#1" - Worksheet below
This procedure should be used in conjunction with the SMART Board file available below.
Day 1 -
Follow notebook lesson:
Day 2 -
- Page 1 - Title Page
- Page 2 - Objectives, Outline & NYS Standards
- Page 3 - Right Trigonometry notes - students will be introduced to the vocabulary used with right triangles
- Page 4 - Students will be able to practice labeling the sides of the given right triangles, based off of a given angle
- Page 5 - Students will be able to set up trigonometry ratios
- Page 6 - Students will now set up a problem given a triangle and find the missing side
- Page 7 - Students will find the length of two missing sides on the same triangle
- Page 8 - Based off of one triangle, students will set up a trigonometry ratio for sine, cosine and tangent
- Page 9 - Students will match the trigonometry functions with the given ratios
- Page 10 to 12 - Students will practice setting up word problems and solving them
- Page 13 - Have students practice and review using the link the Math A www.regentsprep.org website
- Page 13 - There is also a Trig Twister worksheet link on this page where students can work in groups of two. Follow directions on worksheet.
- For extra practice, students may complete the right triangle ditto #1 worksheet.
- Students will be assessed on participation in the SMART Notebook lesson.
- Trig Twister worksheet will be checked.
- Right Triangle Ditto #1 will also be collected and graded. See attached sheet with answers.
The following support mathers were used during this lesson:Trig Twisters WorksheetRight Triangle Ditto#1Right Triangle Ditto#1 Answer KeyLesson in PDF Format
This instructional content was intended for use with a SMART Board. The .xbk file below can only be opened with SMART Notebook software. To download this free software from the SMART Technologies website, please click here.Right Triangle Trigonometry