Steps to Early Civilization
Intermediate, 6th Grade
This lesson will introduce the vocabulary terms for the first three steps to civilization, along with some vocabulary of Mesopotamia. Terminology for the last two steps of civilization will be covered in another lesson. The activities are geared for a sixth grade 15:1 special education social studies class.
One to two forty-five minute periods
Students will be able to:
- Define vocabulary of Mesopotamia by completing a vocabulary web for each of the seven terms; fertile, irrigation, silt, drought, levee, canal, and plateau.
- Describe the geography of Mesopotamia and the "Steps to Early Civilization" by completing a 6-8 sentence paragraph in their Social Studies journal.
- Summarize information by taking notes on each of the slides presented in class.
Review : The first five slides of the file Five Steps to Civilization are a review of material. Slide 2 defines the terms ancient and civilization. Slide 3 is an overview of the steps to early civilization. On Slide 4, the students will review how the nomads were hunter/gatherers and that they hunted for their meat and gathered plants for their food.
Five Steps to CivilizationMesopotamia Vocabulary WebMesopotamia_Vocabulary_Web - Sample.notebook
- One of the first civilizations was in Mesopotamia. Slides 5-7 provide an overview of Mesopotamia and it's geography.
- Slides 8-10 will focus on geography terms. Students will create vocabulary webs in their notes. The Mesopotamia Vocabulary Web should include: the term, definition, sentence, and picture (Please see the sample web below for specification).
- Use Slide 11 to make sure students have all vocabulary words (7 words)
- Use Slide 12 to review what a Drought is.
- Use Slide 13 to review vocabulary words.
Using the last slide, the students will choose the correct term and place it in the appropriate blank.
Students will be graded on their journal entry using the attached rubric.
Rubric-Steps to Early civilization.doc