"Just Passing Through"
Students will describe the structure and function of the main organs of the human digestive system.
- Computers with Internet access
- SMART Board
- LCD projector
- Just Passing Through Worksheet #3.doc
Individual conferencing, responses to questions posed in sampler/ worksheet, and teacher observation of computer/Internet use as assessed in the attached rubric.
- Just Passing Through Rubric.doc
The following lesson plan is based on a WebQuest sampler exploring the structure and function of the various organs associated with the human digestive system.
Just Passing Through
Learning Activities: Content
The students have been studying the various human body systems and have been active participants in a myriad of hands-on lab activities and learning centers based on that theme. They are also familiar with WebQuest samplers and the basics of Internet usage. This WebQuest sampler was designed to serve as a culminating activity for their exploration of the digestive system, as well as a review guide for the students’ upcoming unit exam.
Learning Activities: Procedure
- The Just Passing Through WebQuest sampler should be bookmarked for the students to access. The URL is: http://www.kn.att.com/wired/fil/pages/samthedigemr.html
- The teacher will begin the lesson by posing open-ended questions based on the students’ prior knowledge of the digestive system and current classroom experiences. Students will be asked to think about what they ate last and what do they think happened to that food? Students will then be invited to take a journey as we explore what happens after you eat a slice of pizza.
- Students will be made aware of the teacher’s expectations for their present task. Expectations will be conveyed to students by going over the directions, worksheet and rubric with the class. Instructions and question/answer time will ensue.
- When the teacher is satisfied that all students understand their given task, students will take turns reading the introduction for the sampler out loud as viewed on the SMART Board in a whole class setting.
- Students will then be instructed to begin this online activity independently. The teacher’s role will be that of facilitator and will consist of individually conferencing with each student as they work on the activity.
- Students will have two days in the computer lab to finish this activity and must hand in the completed worksheet.
- Teacher and students will review the answers to the sampler using the SMART Board. Each of the websites will be fully utilized as students participate in any and all online quizzes and interactive activities associated at each site that pertain to the digestive system and its corresponding organs and their function.
Approximately two forty-five minute lessons.